Epidemiology and transmission of pathogens
Lice as vectors of pathogens of public and veterinary well being significance
Solely the physique louse Is taken Beneath consideration to be a vector of human pathogens. The illnesss transmitted by physique lice Are typically Associated to overcrowded and unsanitary circumstances the place primary hygiene is lacking and common washing and altering Of garments Isn’t potential.
Epidemic typhus is Launched on by Rickettsia prowazekii, an obligate gram-adverse intracellular coccobacillus transmitted between people by physique lice. Epidemic typhus Is An important Rationalization for morbidity and mortality all by way of wrestles, however completely differentwise It is a public well being problem which primarily influences poor nations . R. prowazekii Is understood To survive Inside the lymph nodes or completely different tproblems of people who recuperate from epidemic typhus for a quantity of years. This permits the pathogen to later reinvade completely different physique tproblems to set off a illness Usually acknowledged as Brill-Zinsser illness . Intypeation on the bacteraemia Is out there for laboratory animals in experimental research . After a blood meal, the pathogen develops Inside the epithelial cells of the louse midgut from the place, after 5-to-seven days, They’re expelled with the faeces. Mixed with louse faeces, these dry to type a nice black powder which infects small wounds Launched on by scratching, or by Getting into the mucous membranes of nostril or mouth. There’s not a vertical transmission of R. prowazekii in lice . The primary medical manifestations in people embrace extreme fever, myalgia, headache, cough and rash. Humans are the primary reservoirs however completely different mammals, Similar to a Outcome of the flying squirrel (Glaucomys volans), are additionally acknowledged to be pure reservoirs in USA . Epidemic typhus BeRationalization for R. prowazekii Isn’t reported amongst vacationers . Current outbreaks have been reported in Russia, Burundi, Algeria, and Peru . Epidemic typhus Isn’t current in Europe , however imported circumstances   or relapsing types (Usually acknowledged as Brill-Zinsser illness)  are sporadically reported. Due to typically-extreme prevalence of physique lice, refugee camps and prisons recurrent a hazard problem for epidemic typhus outbreaks . A R. prowazekii an infection Might be suspected in travellers And completely different people dwelling in unfavourable hygienic circumstances currenting fever, headache and/or rash .
The aetiological agent of trench fever is Bartonella quintana, transmitted by the physique louse. Human an infection Most probably occurs by way of contaminated louse faeces by way of micpositionsions following scratching . It typically occurs with widespread, non-particular signs (fever, malaise, headache) however is Associated to bacteraemia. Vital outbreaks occurred Through The two World Wars, But in addition later in Poland (1949), Mexico (1954), USSR (1960), and Ethiopia (1964). A recent collection of circumstances was reported in Denver, Colorado in 2020 . Several research documented extreme seroprevalence values for B. quintana. In Paris, France, 54% of homeless Individuals with pores and skin circumstances have been seroconstructive for B. quintana . In Marseille, France, 14% of the homeless affected individuals who introduced with fever at emergency providers have been seroconstructive for B. quintana, with an general seroprevalence in homeless people between 1.8% and 5.3% . Ancompletely different research from Marseille detected 20% of the physique lice collected from homeless people in Marseille to be constructive for B. quintana. Bartonella quintana was additionally detected in head lice from France  and numerous African nations, USA and Nepal .
Louse-borne relapsing fever
Louse-borne relapsing fever is Launched on by the spirochete Borrelia recurrentis, Associated to wrestle, famine, refugees, poverty, and poor private hygiene . These days the illness Seems to be conniced to japanese and northern Africa. In Europe, it Was A regular illness till The prime of the nineteenth century  . The primary vector is the human physique louse, However the agent has Even been detected Inside The prime lice of pygmies in Congo, with no proof of transmission . Humans are The one acknowledged reservoirs of an infection . After lice are contaminated, Borrelia recurrentis multiplies Inside the haemolymph. When a louse is crushed, the contaminated haemolymph is launched onto the human pores and skin from the place the pathogen enters the physique by way of abrasions, wounds or mucous membranes . In 2015, 27 confirmed circumstances of louse-borne relapsing fever have been reported amongst refugees from nations Inside the Horn of Africa .
Other louse-borne an infections
Head lice can transmit two opportunistic micro organism, Staphylococcus aureus and Streptococcus pyogenes on their exterior surfaces, mechanically . Other pathogens have Even been recognized in head lice (Coxiella burnetii, Rickettsia aeschlimannii, Acinetobacter baumannii) However the position of head lice Inside their transmission is unacknowledged . Yersinia pestis was remoted from a physique louse collected from a affected person all by way of a plague outbreak in Morocco  and it has been experimentally proven that physique lice can transmit the pathogen .
In animals, chewing lice Do not have An important vectorial position. However, some species (i.e. the lice of carnivores) are intermediate hosts for Dipylidium caninum which is transmitted to canine and cats by way of ingestion. Some lice infesting birds are In a place to transmit aby way ofn filariases [2,3]. Sucking lice infesting animals can transmit sure pathogens, such as swine pox virus and bovine anaplasmosis .
Public well being administration measures
In the case of people, the administration of lice requires differing remedy strategies, Counting on the species. Delousing Is taken Beneath consideration Definitely one of The only methods To regulate louse-borne illnesss . To administration the physique lice infestation, common showering or bathing Collectively with common washing and altering Of garments and linen/blankets Is important , notably in crowded places such as refugee camps, shelters for the homeless and prisons. Several case research have demonstrated the influenceiveness Of these strategies  . Collectively with administrationling the louse infestation, confirmed circumstances of physique louse-borne an infections Ought to be immediately deal withed using antibiotics . To administration head lice, mechanical eradicating of lice and nits Is important, combined with remedy of the scalp using numerous pediculicides. As merchandise are generally only influenceive towrestleds adults and nymphs, remedy Ought to be repeated after 10−14 days . Although sure merchandise declare to have an ovicidal exercise, That is generally restricted, and a second remedy Is useful for all merchandise, Aside from the primeical 0.5% ivermectin .
Scalp shaving May even be an environment nice Method of administration  and pubic lice May even be administrationled by combing or shaving the pubic hair. An environment nice Method to take away lice from garments and linen is to wrestlemth them (i.e. air-drying) to 60°C or wash them for Half-hour at 55°C, or for a shorter interval at A greater temperature .
In cattle, influenceive remedys towrestleds chewing lice embrace dipping or spraying with pyrethroids or typeamidines. All these are influenceive towrestleds nymphs and adults however can’t kill the eggs. As the residual influence Does not final prolonged, the remedy Ought to be repeated after 14−20 days. Pour-on merchandise are additionally out there with comparable pesticides As a Outcome of the merchandise above. These May even be Utilized Collectively (i.e. organophosphates + pyrethroids) or pour-on merchandise with macrocyclic lactones (ivermectin, moxidectin, eprinomectin). Injectable macrocyclic lactones Aren’t influenceive towrestleds chewing lice. In sheep, the preventive autumn dipping towrestleds psoroptic mange May even be influenceive towrestleds lice. In canine and cats, As a Outcome of there Are not any repellent merchandise towrestleds lice, The favored strategy is to deal with contaminated animals. Various pharmaceutical remedys Can be found: primeical software remedys (fipronil, cyphenothrin, imidacloprid, permethrin, moxidectin, selamectin, metaflumizone), collars (e.g. flumethrin plus imidacloprid ). Notice that permethrin is poisonous for cats. For the administration of sucking lice infesting animals, The identical strategyes apply as for chewing lice. As properly as, injectable macrocyclic lactones Can be found however this remedy Want to be repeated after two-to-three weeks.
Key areas of unsurety
Louse-borne illnesss are comparatively uncared for in Europe As in contrast with completely different vector-borne illnesss When it Includes focused surveillance, evaluation and administration. Definitely one of many primary intypeation gaps in understanding the hazards of pathogen transmission from lice to people is The scarcity of research on the prevalence of physique-lice in hazard teams throughout A lot of the EU and The scarcity of surveillance of louse-borne pathogens. Other gaps relate to our understanding of the vectorial position of head lice, as for a quantity of pathogens detected in lice, the transmission potential has not been demonstrated .
1. Lehane MJ. The biology of blood-sucking in bugs. Second version. Cambridge: Cambridge College Press; 2005 (321).
2. Deplazes P, Eckert J, Mathis A, Von Samson-Himmelstjerna G, Zahner H. Parasitology in veterinary medicine. First version. Wageningen: Wageningen Educational Publishers; 2016 (653).
3. Durden LA. Lice (Phthiraptera). In: Mullen GR, Durden LA, editors. Medical and Veterinary Entomology. London: Educational Press; 2002 (171-90).
4. Badiaga S, Brouqui P. Human louse-transmitted infectious illnesss. Clinical Microbiology and Infection. 2012 Apr;18(4):332-7.
5. Coates SJ, Thomas C, Chosidow O, Engelman D, Chang AY. Ecprimearasites: pediculosis and tungiasis. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2020 Mar;82(3):551-69.
6. Badiaga S, Menard A, Tissot Dupont H, Ravaux I, Chouquet D, Graveriau C, et al. Prevalence of pores and skin an infections in sheltered homeless. European Journal of Dermatology. 2005 Sep-Oct;15(5):382-6.
7. Li W, Ortiz G, Fournier PE, Gimenez G, Reed DL, Pittendrigh B, et al. Genotyping of human lice suggests a quantity of emergencies of physique lice from native head louse populations. PLoS Neglected Tropical Illnesses. 2010 Mar 23;4(3):e641.
8. Angelakis E, Bechah Y, Raoult D. The historic previous of epidemic typhus. Microbiology Spectrum. 2016 Aug;4(4).
9. Bauer E, Jahnke C, Feldmeier H. Seasonal fluctuations of head lice infestation in Germany. Parasitology Research. 2009 Feb;104(3):677-81.
10. Bechah Y, Capo C, Mege JL, Raoult D. Epidemic typhus. Lancet Infectious Illnesses. 2008 Jul;8(7):417-26.
11. Houhamdi L, Lepidi H, Drancourt M, Raoult D. Experimental mannequin To guage the human physique louse as a vector of plague. Journal of Infectious Illnesses. 2006 Dec 1;194(11):1589-96.
12. Akram SM, Ladd M, King KC. Rickettsia prowazekii. [Up So far 20 September 2021] StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL): StatPearls Publishing; Jan 2022. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK448173/
13. Portillo A, Santibanez S, Garcia-Alvarez L, Palomar AM, Oteo JA. Rickettsioses in Europe. Microbes and Infection 2015 Nov-Dec;17(11-12):834-8.
14. Niang M, Brouqui P, Raoult D. Epidemic typhus imported from Algeria. Rising Infectious Illnesses. 1999 Sep-Oct;5(5):716-8.
15. Zanetti G, Francioli P, Tagan D, Paddock CD, Zaki SR. Imported epidemic typhus. Lancet. 1998 Nov 21;352(9141):1709.
16. Faucher JF, Socolovschi C, Aubry C, Chirouze C, Hustache-Mathieu L, Raoult D, et al. Brill-Zinsser illness in Moroccan man, France, 2011. Rising Infectious Illnesses. 2012 Jan;18(1):171-2.
17. Ericsson CD, Jensenius M, Fournier PE, Raoult D. Rickettsioses and the worldwide traveler. Clinical Infectious Illnesses. 2004 Nov 15;39(10):1493-9.
18. Okorji O, Olarewaju O, Tempo WC. Trench fever [Up So far 12 Feb 2021]. StatPearls. Treasure Island (FL) 2021. StatPearls Publishing; Jan 2022. Available from: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK562259/
19. Guibal F, de La Salmoniere P, Rybojad M, Hadjrabia S, Dehen L, Arlet G. High seroprevalence to Bartonella quintana in homeless affected individuals with cutaneous parasitic infestations in downtown Paris. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2001 Feb;44(2):219-23.
20. Brouqui P, Houpikian P, Dupont HT, Toubiana P, Obadia Y, Lafay V, et al. Survey of the seroprevalence of Bartonella quintana in homeless people. Clinical Infectious Illnesses. 1996 Oct;23(4):756-9.
21. Angelakis E, Rolain JM, Raoult D, Brouqui P. Bartonella quintana in head louse nits. FEMS Immunology and Medical Microbiology. 2011 Jul;62(2):244-6.
22. Warrell DA. Louse-borne relapsing fever (Borrelia recurrentis an infection). Epidemiology and Infection. 2019 Jan;147:e106.
23. Amanzougaghene N, Akiana J, Mongo Ndombe G, Davoust B, Nsana NS, Parra HJ, et al. Head lice of Pygmies reveal the presence of relapsing fever borreliae Inside the Republic of Congo. PLoS Neglected Tropical Illnesses. 2016 Dec;10(12):e0005142.
24. European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control (ECDC). Speedy hazard evaluation. Louse-borne relapsing fever Inside the EU. Revolutionary Group 17 November 2015. Stockholm: ECDC; 2015.
25. Burkhart CN, Burkhart CG. Fomite transmission in head lice. Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology. 2007 Jun;56(6):1044-7.
26. Drancourt M, Houhamdi L, Raoult D. Yersinia pestis as a telluric, human ecprimearasite-borne organism. Lancet Infectious Illnesses. 2006 Apr;6(4):234-41.
27. Russell RC, Otranto D, Wall RL. The Encyclopedia of Medical and Veterinary Entomology: CABI; 2013.
28. Raoult D, Ndihokubwayo JB, Tissot-Dupont H, Roux V, Faugere B, Abegbinni R, et al. Outbreak of epidemic typhus Associated to trench fever in Burundi. Lancet. 1998 Aug 1;352(9125):353-8.
29. Sundnes KO, Haimanot AT. Epidemic of louse-borne relapsing fever in Ethiopia. Lancet. 1993 Nov 13;342(8881):1213-5.
30. Bowles VM, Hanegraaf S, Ahveninen T, Sidgiddi S, Allenby K, Alsop H. Effect of A mannequin new head lice remedy, Abametapir lotion, 0.74%, on louse eggs: a randomized, double-blind research. International Pediatric Health. 2019;6:2333794X19831295.
31. Bacot AW. The Louse drawback. Proceedings of the Royal Society Of medicine.1917;10:61–94.